Back to Bataan - A Survivor's Story

Alf Larson Day -
City of Crystal

Bataan Death March Route Map

Philippine Department of Tourism

Star Tribune:
March of Time
("Article of Interest" for 4-6 Grade Basic Skills Reading Test Prep)

Post/View Comments

Comments

Click Here to Post a Comment

Comment by Angela Steagall myliddlepooh@yahoo.com on 08/13/2014 @ 15:53:33 GMT

I was researching my uncle and came across the most amazing photo of him in the Nomachi POW Camp.

As I was researching, I came across this website and noticed there is a photo of Mr. Larsen in the prison camp as well.

When I looked at the two, the one on this site is the same photo, just cropped. My uncle was on the front row all the way to the left.

Do you know how I could get a good quality copy, or a digital file of that photo?

Comment by Dolores Huntoon on 07/19/2014 @ 23:04:28 GMT

My father, Wilfred T. Nartea was a P.O.W. of the Bataan Death March. He \'claims\' he was the 6th person from the left of the famous picture, on the National Geographic, where he was in the front, carrying one end of a pole with a dead body, hanging from the pole. He was responsible for building the buildings they disposed of the dead bodies. He never talked about it, till a few years ago, when he was in his mid eightys.

Comment by Darys adams on 06/25/2014 @ 01:52:49 GMT

My uncle, Thomas B Shone survived the Bataan death march, but was killed afterwards on a prisoner of war ship. I would appreciate hearing from. Anyone that knew of him.

Comment by Christina Huth on 06/11/2014 @ 10:36:39 GMT

My father, Lloyd Nathanial Huth, was named after Lloyd Huth POW due to he is our family and he was MIA at the time my grandfather had her son.  Since they thought he was dead she named her son after him.  Any information I can get on him?

Comment by Jackson Thompson on 05/26/2014 @ 19:47:37 GMT

Thank you for creating this site.  It is one of the few that I have found that talk about the Camp at Clark Field.  I believe my Great Uncle Edgar Beaumont \'Beau\' Burgess was one of the two 1st Lts. Ssgt. Larson talked about.  He died on board the Arisan Maru being transited to Japan.

Comment by Mandy Harp Bryant on 05/25/2014 @ 18:39:34 GMT

My father Robert R. (Bob) Harp survived the Bataan Death March and Japanese prison camps. Timeline: Savannah Air Base, GA, Manila, PI, Bataan, Camp O\'Donnell, Tayabas road detail, Billibid prison, Cabatuan prison camp, and Japanese coal mines. He died 9/28/1991.

Comment by Billy Del Castillo on 02/13/2014 @ 03:32:16 GMT

My Lolo Daddy was a survivor, he is one of those who are able to escape somewhere in Bataan. Sadly he\'s gone since 1985. His is the late Roberto Bayani-Del Castillo. Salute to all soldiers of WWII

Comment by Dave Dokmanovich on 01/18/2014 @ 05:32:15 GMT

Many ask about POW survivor lists, here some info:

Comment by Mark W. Parsons on 01/05/2014 @ 16:38:09 GMT

It would appear there is NO list of Bataan Death March Survivors. Just several from the POW camps.

Comment by Edee Lemonier on 12/08/2013 @ 20:32:23 GMT

My grandmother, Lt. Edythe Davenhall, was a nurse in the Philippines and ran an osteo (broken bones) ward.  I have pictures of her with "her guys," as she called them. She was there from Aug 2, 1945 to May 21, 1946. She passed away in 2006 and only left a scant few stories of her time there. As I piece together who she was before she married my grandfather, I am reading as much as I can find on this subject. This site, these interviews are treasures and incredible testaments to the strength of the men and women who served there. I feel honored to be able to read these pages and the comments left by survivors and their families.