Back to Bataan - A Survivor's Story

Alf Larson Day -
City of Crystal

Bataan Death March Route Map

Philippine Department of Tourism

Star Tribune:
March of Time
("Article of Interest" for 4-6 Grade Basic Skills Reading Test Prep)

Post/View Comments

Comments

Click Here to Post a Comment

Comment by Daniel Work on 10/17/2014 @ 15:40:58 GMT

Hello my name Daniel Work, and I am a History and Education major from East Texas Baptist University. I am currently working on a paper regarding how American servicemen viewed American involvement in WW II prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor. During my searching for primary sources your page on Alf R. Larson came up.
I was wondering if you would be so kind, as to assist me in my efforts. If that is the case would you email me some documents of his prior to Dec. 7, 1941. Letters involving his opinion on the war,or anything relating to his training would help.
Please send anything you would like give me to Daniel_Work@etbu.edu

Comment by JCousin on 09/27/2014 @ 18:31:17 GMT

Uncle Blanchard did not die during the march. He survived the march. He died after 2 years in a POW camp. His name was found in a journal 2 officers kept hidden as a means to keep track of soldiers.

Comment by Jim Burnett on 09/22/2014 @ 13:39:28 GMT

Can the individual who posted regarding Teddy C. Campbell get in touch with me at jimburnett2009@gmail.com?

Comment by Elaine De Arcos on 09/20/2014 @ 04:41:20 GMT

My great grandfather was Henry Edward Crawford. He was a survivor of the death march and died in Washington in 1956. Does anyone have any information on him?  If so, please contact me at elainedearcos@aol.com. Thank you.

Comment by Angela Steagall myliddlepooh@yahoo.com on 08/13/2014 @ 15:53:33 GMT

I was researching my uncle and came across the most amazing photo of him in the Nomachi POW Camp.

As I was researching, I came across this website and noticed there is a photo of Mr. Larsen in the prison camp as well.

When I looked at the two, the one on this site is the same photo, just cropped. My uncle was on the front row all the way to the left.

Do you know how I could get a good quality copy, or a digital file of that photo?

Comment by Dolores Huntoon on 07/19/2014 @ 23:04:28 GMT

My father, Wilfred T. Nartea was a P.O.W. of the Bataan Death March. He \'claims\' he was the 6th person from the left of the famous picture, on the National Geographic, where he was in the front, carrying one end of a pole with a dead body, hanging from the pole. He was responsible for building the buildings they disposed of the dead bodies. He never talked about it, till a few years ago, when he was in his mid eightys.

Comment by Darys adams on 06/25/2014 @ 01:52:49 GMT

My uncle, Thomas B Shone survived the Bataan death march, but was killed afterwards on a prisoner of war ship. I would appreciate hearing from. Anyone that knew of him.

Comment by Christina Huth on 06/11/2014 @ 10:36:39 GMT

My father, Lloyd Nathanial Huth, was named after Lloyd Huth POW due to he is our family and he was MIA at the time my grandfather had her son.  Since they thought he was dead she named her son after him.  Any information I can get on him?

Comment by Jackson Thompson on 05/26/2014 @ 19:47:37 GMT

Thank you for creating this site.  It is one of the few that I have found that talk about the Camp at Clark Field.  I believe my Great Uncle Edgar Beaumont \'Beau\' Burgess was one of the two 1st Lts. Ssgt. Larson talked about.  He died on board the Arisan Maru being transited to Japan.

Comment by Mandy Harp Bryant on 05/25/2014 @ 18:39:34 GMT

My father Robert R. (Bob) Harp survived the Bataan Death March and Japanese prison camps. Timeline: Savannah Air Base, GA, Manila, PI, Bataan, Camp O\'Donnell, Tayabas road detail, Billibid prison, Cabatuan prison camp, and Japanese coal mines. He died 9/28/1991.