Back to Bataan - A Survivor's Story

Alf Larson Day -
City of Crystal

Bataan Death March Route Map

Philippine Department of Tourism

Star Tribune:
March of Time
("Article of Interest" for 4-6 Grade Basic Skills Reading Test Prep)

Post/View Comments

Comments

Click Here to Post a Comment

Comment by Billy Del Castillo on 02/13/2014 @ 03:32:16 GMT

My Lolo Daddy was a survivor, he is one of those who are able to escape somewhere in Bataan. Sadly he\'s gone since 1985. His is the late Roberto Bayani-Del Castillo. Salute to all soldiers of WWII

Comment by Dave Dokmanovich on 01/18/2014 @ 05:32:15 GMT

Many ask about POW survivor lists, here some info:

Comment by Mark W. Parsons on 01/05/2014 @ 16:38:09 GMT

It would appear there is NO list of Bataan Death March Survivors. Just several from the POW camps.

Comment by Edee Lemonier on 12/08/2013 @ 20:32:23 GMT

My grandmother, Lt. Edythe Davenhall, was a nurse in the Philippines and ran an osteo (broken bones) ward.  I have pictures of her with "her guys," as she called them. She was there from Aug 2, 1945 to May 21, 1946. She passed away in 2006 and only left a scant few stories of her time there. As I piece together who she was before she married my grandfather, I am reading as much as I can find on this subject. This site, these interviews are treasures and incredible testaments to the strength of the men and women who served there. I feel honored to be able to read these pages and the comments left by survivors and their families.

Comment by Piscataqua Press on 12/04/2013 @ 19:02:32 GMT

Hello, we\'ve just published "Deadline-- Captain Charlie\'s Bataan Diary" about Charles Underwood who was also in the Death March and at Camp O\'Donnell and then later at Camp Hitachi in Japan. You can see more about the book at www.piscataquapress.com/underwood

Comment by Margareta Ohlsson Sweden on 10/24/2013 @ 19:45:35 GMT

Alf R Larsson was my
granmother´s brothers son.
I was so happy when I found
this side.
I will read the book  Back to Bataan

Comment by Virginia Borek on 10/24/2013 @ 16:11:50 GMT

My dad survived Bataan and Japan, and returned to rejoin the AF.  Looking for any info of anyone in army/air Force 60th CAC camp 521.  Name was Henry Eldridge Carlin from San Antonio TX.  TY vbnny13502@aol.com.

Comment by Warren Gotthardt on 09/09/2013 @ 18:37:09 GMT

Thank You Jim!  I do appreciate your help.  Would you know of any source that could provide me with any additional information on him.  Thanks again for this info greatly appreciated.  TKS Warren

Comment by Jim Erickson on 08/30/2013 @ 22:27:56 GMT

For Warren Gotthardt
Sheldon H Mendelson was a 2nd Lt with the 31st Inf at the surrender of Bataan.  He was sent to Japan in Nov 1942 and was liberated from Rokuroshi camp.  That\'s all the info I have.

Comment by R Bruntmyer on 08/28/2013 @ 23:02:34 GMT

I am searching for a copy of the diary kept by Jack Kelly, who was the Provisional Air Corps the unit\'s commanding officer on Bataan. I understand the war records were destroyed in the fighting on Bataan, but that a diary kept by Jack Kelly, survived.  Can you help?

Ray Bruntmyer